The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message

BAJR Federation Archaeology
This CSCS thing - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: This CSCS thing (/showthread.php?tid=2846)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

This CSCS thing - trowelmonkey - 16th March 2010

Oh heck, maybe I'd better just put the link up before we talk ourselves round in circles. Not that I'm saying that that's what archaeologists do....:face-stir:

http://www.ilascotland.org.uk/ILA+Homepage.htm

It's true that it's aimed at "vocational courses," because what kind of professionals have such low salaries beyond entry level? But, they're pretty generous with other stuff, like computing and languages too.

This CSCS thing - beamo - 17th March 2010

If anyone needs a copy of the CSCS Questions & Answers book I have one (2007 edition - Issue 2) that I'm quite happy to send on as a freebie if it helps.

Beamo

This CSCS thing - Ladygeek - 17th March 2010

There's a 2008 edition now, but now sure how much they differ from each other..

This CSCS thing - GnomeKing - 18th March 2010

Having sat through several failed schemes before the CSCS (eg the Quarry Passport Scheme) the CSCS is both cheaper and easier (if only because the Quarry card took 2 days!)

The test is modlled in comparable ways to current driving theory tests - similar critiscisms apply to both...both are hoops to be jumped through.

A sensible person with moderate care and moderate knowledege about the technology and working practices of industry will not fail - if you lack experience on construction sites, or familiarity with technology involved, or are just not sensible, then check out the 'crib sheets' - but really in my opinion it was ridiculously simplistic and easy to pass...nobody is safer in archaeology because of it...

This CSCS thing - Drunky - 18th March 2010

I don't really understand what it's used of i still have to go through the same site inducutions and although i am allways told to bring my card with me no ones ever taken down the number or ask to see it,
I had to wait 2 hours for a site induction yesterday to go on site to do 3 hours of surveying no one ever ask to see my card and even if they did it wouldn't have got me on to site any quicker

This CSCS thing - GnomeKing - 18th March 2010

exactly - its useless and the construction industry (in practice) seems to agree.....

This CSCS thing - Ladygeek - 20th March 2010

Passed with no wrong answers - I am now officially 'competent' apparently Wink

(It seems you can get up to 5 out of 40 wrong and still pass - I had thought you had to get 100%)

This CSCS thing - BuntyFlint - 7th April 2010

Late addition to the thread (looking as need to get CSCS card too).

I've also been looking at museum jobs and was interested to see that, for applications for the post of visitor services assistant at The Imperial War museum it is desirable you have a SIA card - it's a 'Security Industry Authority' card. Here's the website, complete with Robson Greene lookalike - http://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Pages/home.aspx

Just thinking it's interesting the growth of qualifications/cards for jobs these days. Is it a good thing (increased professionalism?) or 'ID cards by the back door'? Or more ways to make money off people/create card issuing jobs for people.....

This CSCS thing - BAJR - 7th April 2010

Ah... to post on this forum you will be required to have a BJR Card which can be purchased (er... should that be applied for...Ed) from Lord Badger of Badger Towers. send SAE and cheque for 200 quid Smile best leave the payable to blank as well

Yes it does seem to be that more an more of these cards, checks, etc are appearing...

This CSCS thing - Ladygeek - 7th April 2010

BuntyFlint Wrote:Late addition to the thread (looking as need to get CSCS card too).

I've also been looking at museum jobs and was interested to see that, for applications for the post of visitor services assistant at The Imperial War museum it is desirable you have a SIA card - it's a 'Security Industry Authority' card. Here's the website, complete with Robson Greene lookalike - http://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Pages/home.aspx

Just thinking it's interesting the growth of qualifications/cards for jobs these days. Is it a good thing (increased professionalism?) or 'ID cards by the back door'? Or more ways to make money off people/create card issuing jobs for people.....

Although people may find the H&S bureaucracy annoying, I think it's a necessary thing - the CSCS test isnt really to create awareness of dangers and what to do about them (although if it does then that's good) as most of us are aware of that, but rather to create a situation where employees (everyone!) are properly binded to the law requiring then to take responsibility for their own safety and that of others around them, as far as possible.

The card allows us to say "that person knew better - everything was done to ensure that they did" which means essentially that you can't do your job with a half-assed glance at whether you are working safely or not and then just blame someone else when it goes wrong. People are forced to act more responsibly because it's far less likely they will be able to act the victim and get a big cheque - they are masters of their own H&S fate. Of course when you are injured or put in danger due to someone else (co-worker, employer etc) not taking responsibility then you ARE the victim and the regulations will recognise you as such.

All in all, I would say it's a considerably better situation today than 20-30 yrs ago, so annoying though they are, I would say the regulations and cards are worth it.

(not sure about the cost mind you...)