The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
driving to site/work - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: driving to site/work (/showthread.php?tid=281)

driving to site/work - mesolithic viking - 30th September 2006

Could I get a brief recap/pointer to what the law is on driving to work/site in respect of getting paid for driving time? A link to some official legislation online would be useful. Cheers.

driving to site/work - 1man1desk - 2nd October 2006

My understanding is that it depends on whether the site is defined as your 'normal place of work'. If it is, then you ought to travel on your own time. If not, then you should travel on your employer's time.

However, if the site is as close to home (or closer) than the normal place of work and does not cost any more to get to, it seems reasonable to expect people to travel on their own time irrespective. If it is significantly further away, or if your normal place of work is changed to a more distant location, then it seems reasonable for the employer either to provide the time or other compensation.

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished

driving to site/work - stripeykelly - 2nd October 2006

This seems to vary from unit to unit, generally though, I have found that the first hour is in one's own time, and the remaining can be charged to the company. It is also the law that you are to take a 20mins break for every 2 hours of driving to site. Normally, I have found that if you are using your own vehicle you can often get milage, though only if your car is insured for work as well as personal work. I believe though, that if you are expected to use your own vehicle, then you should be properly recompensed for it.

the future's bright; the future's trowel shaped

driving to site/work - Reggie - 2nd October 2006

I've found in general (archaeology and other employment) that the 'normal' commuting journey to work in miles and time is taken off any hourly pay / expenses you can claim back

So, for example, if your office is 30 miles away and it normally takes 45 minutes to get there, you claim for any time after the first 45 minutes and any mileage allowance for after the first 30 miles when travelling to another destination where your employer requests your attendence (meetings, site visits etc).

I think in general as a digger you have to accept that travelling is part and parcel of the work and that you do need to consider how travelling time/expenses are going to affect your life and financial arrangements. I don't think employers can always be expected (or required by law) to reimburse ALL travelling time/expenses - it is something you'd have to ask about or negotiate prior to taking a particular job.

driving to site/work - BAJR Host - 2nd October 2006

Absolutely right there Reggie

"No job worth doing was ever done on time or under budget.."
Khufu

driving to site/work - deepdigger - 8th October 2006

As mean as some units can be, my previous employer always paid travelling expenses, mileage only though!

deep