The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Beyond belief.. - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Beyond belief.. (/showthread.php?tid=2163)

Pages: 1 2

Beyond belief.. - mesolithic viking - 11th March 2006

...these are the only words I can find to describe the behaviour of a unit manager and IFA member notorious for being unable to keep staff. Said individual hires a young graduate fresh from university and then when work dries up tells them they are ?stood down,? which means they are on unpaid leave and unable to work for anyone else. When said person sees through this fantasy and tries to sign on as unemployed, the employment office ring the unit up and said manager tells them the person concerned still works for him, putting paid to their claim for benefit. A happy ending though when said person gets a job elsewhere leaving unit manager decidedly unhappy and understaffed. Can you believe the audacity? Any similar tales?

Beyond belief.. - BAJR Host - 12th March 2006

This is one that you would be better to talk directly to me about...

I will be at BAJR HQ on Sunday - Tusday... 01620 861643

Lets see what can be done...

Another day another WSI?

Beyond belief.. - 1man1desk - 14th March 2006

Sounds illegal to me - a letter to the Inland Revenue, or to an employment tribunal, might be in order. Also to the IFA - if a complaint is made, they will investigate and, if proved, take action. There may be grounds for action under Rules 5.1 or 5.5 of the IFA Code of Conduct, which say:

Quote:quote:5.1 An archaeologist shall give due regard to the requirements of employment legislation relating to employees, colleagues or helpers.

5.5 An archaeologist shall give due regard to the welfare of employees, colleagues and helpers in relation to terms and conditions of service. He or she shall give reasonable consideration to any recommended conditions of employment.

However, it is also familiar. I know that one of the larger units in the north of England used to do this as a regular practice in the early to mid 1990s. Luckily, I only worked for them once, for 6 weeks, and then went over to the dark side.

However, on that 6-week job, they did extend site work by a week - and then tell us at the end that the client had not agreed the extension, so we would not be paid for a week's work that we had already done.

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished

Beyond belief.. - mercenary - 14th March 2006

Quote:quote:However, on that 6-week job, they did extend site work by a week - and then tell us at the end that the client had not agreed the extension, so we would not be paid for a week's work that we had already done.

Christ! No wonder you went over to the dark side! Treatment like that would put me in a killing rage.}Smile

Beyond belief.. - Steve Walsh - 14th March 2006

I worked for a unit in the North of England in the mid 90's that regularly used to wait till Friday afternoons to extend site contracts for another week - and by gum we were grateful!! - It took me ages to realsie this was appalling and very very bad for my health I really hope its not as bad these days but i wouldnt be surprised if it was. Joining the dark side similarly removed me from such torture

A trowel is a thing to lust for!

Beyond belief.. - mercenary - 14th March 2006

If it's the unit I think it is (in both cases) then yes, they still do it. They are having to recruit even more desperate and downtrodden staff to continue this practice. The ones with more self respect quickly move on. Sometimes to us![8D]
"For you Tommy the war is over"

Beyond belief.. - BAJR Host - 14th March 2006

Thanks to Meso Viking who got in touch, and will be supplying info...

Once again... I ask for people to come forward to either the IFA directly or through BAJR ... all is in strict confidence. I can then pass info to the IFA. We have to work together on this... when it becomes known that any practice that is in contravention of either/or IFA Codes of Conduct or Employment LAw will be dealt with immediately that should be a suitable stop on it happening at all.

What I can do... is "have a word" and if it is found to be significant... then no advertising on BAJR and a removal from the Contractor List. I intend to utilise the Contractor List to help groups find work... so removal will have an effect. The intention is to work with the IFA... as together we can create a united front... the IFA with the muscle, BAJR with the terrier teeth. Often however it is jsut a lack of communication or understanding... and a telephone call, explaining the concern is enough... as because of the 'fear' of not working again... it is not very often that people speak up directly against the employer... when they would actually prefer to know.

Muppetry can't continue.

Another day another WSI?

Beyond belief.. - Outheloop - 21st March 2006

i think a general lack of knowledge about employment laws and rules, especially for recent graduates, (who are often just pleased to get into paid archaeology) is a major factor in companies 'getting away' with treating staff like this. My early experience (in no way as bad as other peoples') with week to week contracts and not knowing how or when to claim for holiday i was owed meant that when i finally left i lined their pockets by not ever using it! All very basic stuff which i feel a bit of a dumb ass now for ever putting up with it!

Fully support any quashing of this type of practice!:face-approve:

Beyond belief.. - muddyandcold - 21st March 2006

It is a fairly common practice in industry, when work dries up, to send workers home on 'garden leave'. The employees are given a letter to present to the dole office. This then entitles them to claim while still being employed by the company.

The company does not have to pay a cent but still retains their workforce. For a company to prevent workers from this basic entitlement is STRICTLy illegal (and probabally breaks a few IFA rules as well).

Beyond belief.. - Reggie - 21st March 2006

"Garden Leave" is not what is described by Muddy above. Garden leave is when a employee is told not to attend work during a notice period. The employer is still obliged to pay the employee for the full notice period and the employee is still available to work for the employer if the employer requests they attend. Garden leave can be used for a variety of reasons but is most often used to prevent employees working for rival companies during the notice period, divulging information about the company to a new employer etc.

What Muddy describes is more like a "Zero-Hours Contract" where the employee is on the employers books but only works and only gets paid for any hours actually worked. Sometimes they could be working full time, other times they may work a few hours a week, sometimes no work at all. How this affects Job Seekers Allowance or other benefits I am not sure. For Job Seeker's allowance you must be available for work, which may be a problem if you are on Zero Hours with an employer and could be called to work for them at any time.