The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Purpose built TROWELS! - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Purpose built TROWELS! (/showthread.php?tid=2123)

Pages: 1 2

Purpose built TROWELS! - dave budd - 15th January 2006

Hello one and all!

First I need to introduce my self.

My name is Dave and I trained as an archaeologist in the late 90's (the old HND in practical archaeology) and went on to fork as a digger for three years until going back to uni to read an MA in Experimental Archy. I now live in Devon making fine tools for craftspeople.

I'm posting here having just read in the Digger that the indestructable WHS trowel has gone to pot and is failing people! I've been thinking for a while that I should start making excavation tools and it looks like now is the time.

Since I am going to start making trowels specifically for digging, I can tailor the design to your needs. They will be made in the smae way as the old WHS trowels, in that they will be a single piece of tool steel that has been forged out and properly heat treated. What I need to know is shall I just make replicas of the original 4" London pattern, or are there any changes that you would have me make?

When I was still digging I replaced several handles straight away on account of the damn things falling off and being too pear shaped for my hands. So the first thing to do would be to make the handles a more ergonomic shape and more securely attached! Also I will make them from wood that has ben oiled and not varnished so that they are more pleasent to use from day one (you can also have trowel handles tailor made if you have large hands or want you initials inlayed!)

Please let me know what your reactions to my suggestion are. Also, if there are any other tools that people would like to have me make, please let me know (I made myself new dental-type tools, leaf and a light one-hand mattock, for example)

Purpose built TROWELS! - kevin wooldridge - 15th January 2006

A single piece metal leaf would be fantastic. Have you estimated what kind of price you might be selling trowels/leafs for? I would be willing to pay over the odds for genuine hand-crafted tools. Perhaps you could incorporate some kind of 'Budd' hallmark into the design so that we know we are getting the genuine article.

You might also want to consider the wider European market. I have had numerous requests from Norwegian and Swedish archaeologists for genuine WHS style 100mm trowels.

Purpose built TROWELS! - troll - 15th January 2006

Dave Budd? Sure that I remember you......Big Grin

..knowledge without action is insanity and action without knowledge is vanity..(imam ghazali,ayyuhal-walad)

Purpose built TROWELS! - Illuminated - 15th January 2006

Id love to treat myself to a hand made trowel!
My old whs is a bit small for most things now, and reading bajr I've been put off buying a new one.
I think there's a gap in the market here Smile

Purpose built TROWELS! - roywhiting - 16th January 2006

Ah....Dave Budd.

I was a digger in the nineties and early noughties and ran into 2 Dave Budds. One did a bit of work on the BNRR for Oxford-Wessex framework and the other I believe worked for AOC South and HAT (as was). out of sheer nosiness do you mind telling me which one you are, sir?

Good luck with the teowel thing btw - I hope it takes off. WHS's demise could be your gain. I still have all my worn down little trowels - now collecting dust as I coin it in as a consultantBig Grin. Perhaps a Rest Home for Elderley Trowels should be established - there's another gap in the market[:o)]

Purpose built TROWELS! - the invisible man - 16th January 2006

I might be interested, possibly in two (don't ask!). Price guide?

We owe the dead nothing but the truth.

Purpose built TROWELS! - Orkynowot - 18th January 2006

Loves his old WHS trowel could never replace even though the handle is painful to hold over long periods and the it keeps comming appart.
Though a personal handmade would be cool.

We are reflections of the universe trying to understand itself.

We do now what must be done now.

Purpose built TROWELS! - muddyandcold - 18th January 2006

Sounds like a canny idea. I for one would be very interested in replacing awld faithful! Like the idea of customised/oiled handles!

Coul you let us know projected prices?

Purpose built TROWELS! - Beardstroker - 18th January 2006

Quote:quote:Originally posted by roywhiting

Ah....Dave Budd.

I was a digger in the nineties and early noughties and ran into 2 Dave Budds. One did a bit of work on the BNRR for Oxford-Wessex framework and the other I believe worked for AOC South and HAT (as was). out of sheer nosiness do you mind telling me which one you are, sir?

Good luck with the teowel thing btw - I hope it takes off. WHS's demise could be your gain. I still have all my worn down little trowels - now collecting dust as I coin it in as a consultantBig Grin. Perhaps a Rest Home for Elderley Trowels should be established - there's another gap in the market[:o)]

By the sound of it I think it's the latter. Also at Essex for a while (Hi DaveBig Grin)

Interesting sounding project Mr Budd! Do let us know your price guide.

Purpose built TROWELS! - AchingTrenchHeadAtADesk - 18th January 2006

Could I have one with the handle moulded and illustrated in the stlye of a finger of fudge, please?