The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Jobs in Humberside - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Jobs in Humberside (/showthread.php?tid=2115)

Pages: 1 2

Jobs in Humberside - kevin wooldridge - 6th January 2006

I notice that the current BAJR job advert for the Humber Field Archaeology Unit carries the sentence:

'Please note. Unfortunately we are not able to pay expenses for attending interviews'

Seems a tad harsh on people of limited financial means i.e most archaeologists, who might otherwise satisfy all of the requirements for the post, particularly as the interviews appear to qualify the attendee for the 'pool' of labour and not for any specific job.

Is it normal for a local authority employer not to pay interview expenses? Any chance that our Host could clarify the situation with the Humber Field Unit?

Jobs in Humberside - Sparky - 6th January 2006

Good point.
I quite liked the following...

Applicants must have previous relevant practical experience of archaeological excavation and recording on projects run by reputable archaeological organisations.

I Wonder who they mean...?

Jobs in Humberside - gumbo - 7th January 2006

Am I misunderstanding this 'pool' of casual labour thing? Either you want to fill a job or you don't. Who's gonna hang around in humberside in the hope that their services might be required...

Jobs in Humberside - medi-evil - 7th January 2006

keywords: time, waste of.

Jobs in Humberside - mercenary - 8th January 2006

This pool of passive staff waiting around for the largesse of the big unit thing is a particularly nasty trend in this part of the country. At least one other unit in the region tries this. It's lke the bad old days when archs signed on between jobs. The reassuring thing is that the other unit seems to have problems hanging on to skilled excavators. Not really surprising.[xx(]

Jobs in Humberside - eggbasket - 9th January 2006

Quote:quote:Originally posted by gumbo

Either you want to fill a job or you don't. Who's gonna hang around in humberside in the hope that their services might be required...

Simple answer is that no one is going to hang around in Humberside, because the area being discussed is the East Riding of Yorkshire. There is no Humberside any more and thank the powers that be for that because we never wanted to be linked with the yellowbellies anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, I can't really think of a good reason for wanting to hang around in East Yorkshire either, having spent half my life there. [:0]

Cheers,
Eggbasket
Gentleman Adventurer and Antique

"All human endeavour is futile"

Jobs in Humberside - medi-evil - 9th January 2006

Quote:quote:Originally posted by mercenary

This pool of passive staff waiting around for the largesse of the big unit thing is a particularly nasty trend in this part of the country. At least one other unit in the region tries this. It's lke the bad old days when archs signed on between jobs. The reassuring thing is that the other unit seems to have problems hanging on to skilled excavators. Not really surprising.[xx(]

Crime and Fear?

Jobs in Humberside - BAJR Host - 9th January 2006

We might be being overly harsh here...

The pool of workers is to allow you to be able to contact dozens of archaeologists (many of whom will be working elsewhere) so that you can always find a few when you need em. I think the concept of gangs of starving archaeologists hanging out on the corners of streets waiting for the van to turn up and take them off for a days watching brief are long gone... Big Grin

Another day another WSI?

Jobs in Humberside - kevin wooldridge - 9th January 2006

Sorry Host as the original intention of my post seems to have sidetracked....

I too have no problem with the 'pool' concept. However, where such arrangements have operated elsewhere in archaeology one could get into the 'pool' merely by sending off a CV. In this instance, qualification for the pool is linked to an interview, attendance at which the Humber Field Unit suggest should be at the expense of the interviewee. My original query was asking if you could clarify this point with HFU.

I wonder for example whether or not a telephone interview might be possible if applicants live outside of Hull or close environs.

Jobs in Humberside - mercenary - 9th January 2006

Quote:quote:We might be being overly harsh here...

Probably true. My own experiences with the Humber Unit have been all positive. (Apologies Kevin for the sidetrack) It does bring up the old fashioned expectation that staff will hang around during a brief layoff, that is still seen at some units. It can work soetimes with settled staff, but proactive ones quickly go. Discussion anyone?