The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
digger divin - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: digger divin (/showthread.php?tid=2065)

Pages: 1 2

digger divin - Troll - 10th November 2005

I remember some time ago reading a thread that outlined the functions of one arm of the heritage industry. I found this to be hugely illuminating and inadvertantly forced me to confront some long-held misconceptions on my part. As I see this as a healthy thing, I think it`s high time that we formalised what we think a field archaeologist should be capable of.Just what do they do? What skills are needed? How would you write a spec on being a site assistant? I use the term "site assistant" in the purest sense-a field archaeologist with either 6months or 20 years experience.How would you characterise the differences between the skills needed by an experienced arch and those of a relative newcomer to the field?So here we go....Just what does a qualified archaeological site assistant offer for their huge (obviously) rewards?Big Grin

digger divin - sniper - 10th November 2005

knackered knees and a bad back Big Grin (sorry, too tired to think of sensible things)

++ i spend my days rummaging around in dead people ++

digger divin - kevin wooldridge - 11th November 2005

Quote:quote:Originally posted by troll

How would you characterise the differences between the skills needed by an experienced arch and those of a relative newcomer to the field?

A relative newcomer should have one remarkable character flaw that archaeology will eventually 'beat' out of them. This might be:
Trainspotting; Bus-spotting; Plane-spotting; a sexually dubious affection for Margaret Thatcher; sexual abstinence; metal-detecting; dreadlocks; facial piercing; knowledge of WWII battle tactics; membership of a re-enactment society; subscription to Current Archaeology; pet rats; pet lice; cheap trowels; Linx aftershave; Scottish/Welsh/Irish/Polish accent; parcels of freshly laundered underwear sent from parental home; desire to appear on Time Team; the phone number of Tesco's personnel dept just incase Archaeology doesn't work out; vast number of phone number of 'guys I went to college with;

A semi-experienced arch will have at least one remarkable character flaw they have acquired through archaeology. This might be:
Mockney accent; Canadian accent; CSA obligations; outstanding student loan; PGCE/MA/MSc/PhD; pet lice; a cough; beer gut; 'mini' trowels; body odour; Church-spotter; ability to overall diesel engines; obsession with the dead; small collection of stamped Samian bases; history of at least one zoonotic infection; more intimate body piercing; a declaration that they prefer to 'go commando'; a plastic hinged-lid tool box; a one off appearance on Time Team (the one set on the Welsh colliery waste heap); older girl/boy friend; phone number of building contractor just incase archaeology doesn't work out; adapted German parachute regiment clothing; one or two phone numbers of 'guys I went to college with';

An experienced arch should have at least one remarkable skill that might have been useful for about 3 hours, on a site they worked on about 10 years back. For example the ability to draw the sections of a completely flooded trench through being able to hold their breath for 10 minutes at a go and see through muddy water; intimate knowledge of that excavation where we kept [u]all</u> the building material; an one off interview on BBC East Anglia; appearance in 'The Lancet' with rare skin infection; grand-children; younger girl/boy friend; phone number of former colleague who is now a consultant; a back-log unachieveable in the remainder of their archaeological career; varied collection of 'badged' hi-vi vests; strange Norwegian digging tool; 'College, nah!! I'm an Job Creation Scheme/MSC 'graduate';

digger divin - gumbo - 11th November 2005

Hi Kevin,

You forgot an intimate knowledge of the location and quality of real ale pubs in forgotton corners of the country in the experienced section. Although I cringed at the back-log point: the truth hurt.

Anyway, I didnt think the homebrew was ready for another six weeks Kevin... if its ready now ill take a trip out east at some point.

G

Dont think Perrin will last long now...

digger divin - the invisible man - 11th November 2005

Wow, on Kevin's system I go straight to semi-experiencedBig Grin (no lice or body-piercing though - yet)

We owe the dead nothing but the truth.

digger divin - sea-surgeon - 11th November 2005

I used to dig the guy who was in the Lancet with the strange skin infection (as I am sure many of you have) and the strange Norwegian digging tool is called a kraftser. So accurate I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

digger divin - Beardstroker - 11th November 2005

Actually I've noticed a common get out clause with backlog projects from the 1980's esp from MSC funded site's is "well I'd like to write it up, but there was no money for post-ex" I even believe some of themBig Grin

digger divin - eggbasket - 11th November 2005

Quote:quote:Originally posted by sea-surgeon

the strange Norwegian digging tool is called a kraftser. .

Actually, it's a "krafse". "Krafser" in the plural.

Cheers,
Eggbasket
Gentleman Adventurer and Antique

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, the ringing's in your head"

digger divin - vulpes - 11th November 2005

Dont forget it's essntial couterpart 'Scoopy'! Big Grin

digger divin - kevin wooldridge - 11th November 2005

Quote:quote:Originally posted by vulpes

Dont forget it's essntial couterpart 'Scoopy'! Big Grin

That would be the 'brett' (tray) part of the krafse tool. Often overlooked, but quite vital to its operation.

One item of equipment I forgot from my original list was 'long handled' shovels. You either love 'em or hate 'em, but IMHO the more experienced archs (those still able to dig without constant back pain) tend to come down on the love side.