The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Metal Detectors on site. - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Metal Detectors on site. (/showthread.php?tid=1997)

Metal Detectors on site. - Silent Bob - 13th September 2005

As detecting is currently being (barely) discussed, I was wondering how often people actually see/use them on site. My unit actually has a detector rather than calls in enthusiastic but dodgily unpaid people. However, I appear to be the only person who regularly uses it. I try to take it on watching briefs as often as possible and have frequently found some good stuff with it. For example, evidence for an early English Civil war seige consisting of musket balls, a cannon ball, baldric buckle and other finds or just the other day when I found a late Saxon silver penny (on what turned out to be a partly Saxon site). My problem is that if you don't use a detector (more than once) then you are throwing away most of the metal finds. However, when on a bigger site you are frequently moaned at for being a 'treasure hunting tosspot.' I suspect that people would sometimes rather not find metal artefacts as they are likely to increase post-ex costs. Thoughts please.

Metal Detectors on site. - eggbasket - 13th September 2005

Use a metal detector, find the goodies and then seed the site with brass washers to piss off the nighthawks. Works for me. Problem is that it takes experience to use a metal detector properly and few units seem to be willing to give their staff the time to learn so they just pay lip service to the idea of detecting the site.

Cheers,
Eggbasket

Don't have a stegosaurus, man.

Metal Detectors on site. - mercenary - 13th September 2005

Quote:quoteTongueroblem is that it takes experience to use a metal detector properly and few units seem to be willing to give their staff the time to learn so they just pay lip service to the idea of detecting the site.

Yep, that's the case with my Unit, and the MD itself is barely functioning. More a theatrical prop than a research tool.[xx(]

Metal Detectors on site. - 1man1desk - 13th September 2005

We have two metal-detectors and use them ourselves.

We also usually build requirements for metal-detecting into our Specifications for evaluations, excavations or watching briefs.

I generally prefer to see the metal-detecting being done by an archaeologist rather than a local enthusiast, but there is a down-side. It does take skill and experience to do it effectively, and it can be hard to find archaeologists with those skills.

Either way, we want whoever does the work to be an employee of the unit for the duration, partly because we object to the use of 'volunteer' labour but mainly to make sure that they are fully under control.

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished

Metal Detectors on site. - Silent Bob - 13th September 2005

It's true about not getting much time to learn how to use the detector. We had ours for over 2 years before it ever got used in a serious way. I had to teach myself how to use it whilst working over a massive spoil heap full of Roman coins. Roman sites are perfect for learning how one works. The great thing about using one on a big site is that you are frequently working from a level that has actually been stripped down to archaeology already. Almost anything you find will be 'archaeological', even if its just a crappy old nail.