The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
a degree of competence? - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: a degree of competence? (/showthread.php?tid=1989)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

a degree of competence? - achingknees - 14th September 2005

Quote:quote:Originally posted by deepdigger

Rubbish!
If a development is going to take place on a commercial basis then a budget is going to be set aside by the developer for that. this would include all costs, archaeology and consultants, if we were to cut out the consultants there would be more money in the pot!
Get real people!! Its happening!!

deep

That's a bit simplistic. Budgets are rarely fixed. The development industry is notorious for financial uncertainties. For archaeological jobs the level of work and therefore the costs are based upon the brief from the curator and the unit coming up with an appropriate scheme of work (WSI/Design Spec), not me asking Mr Developer how much he has to spare.

"Oh, there is no consultant on this job. Mmmm..can I have some more money then?" Big Grin

Oh blow it. Now you've got me going off topic!

a degree of competence? - achingknees - 14th September 2005

Oneman and Eggy have beat me againSmile

a degree of competence? - troll - 14th September 2005

Guys-not entirely sure that this is getting any of us anywhere and is in danger of becoming an exercise in character assassination. Not only that-we`re on the wrong thread doods!Big Grin

a degree of competence? - troll - 14th September 2005

Anyhoo, just to get us back on track-I learnt a hell of a lot from what is patronisingly described as "amateur" archaeologists before going to uni. There are a couple of unquallified guys working for my employers at the moment and to be brutally honest, they make graduates look extremely silly. Why not have these guys teach undergrads in field schools instead of using students to labour and feather the nest of some of the less "inspired" academic heads of uni departments? Unquallified old hacks (no insult intended) are an indespensible element of the profession today and have a lot to offer. Coversely, I would argue that a good few archaeology degrees out there today are about as much use as genitalia on a nun, are demonstrably "bums on seats" conveyor belts and, watered down to cater for the large numbers of applicants inspired by dross like slime team.Big Grin

a degree of competence? - achingknees - 15th September 2005

Troll

You've changed your tune since starting off the thread! First you want us all with degrees then you're singing the praises of the unqualified. Glad you're coming round to my way of thinking Wink. There's room for all.

Re character assassination - just nipping the bud in the archaeological mythologising. Sorry if the nipping was with sharpened teeth - just prompted by the venom Smile

a degree of competence? - troll - 15th September 2005

Would`nt dare rubbish unquallified archs who work as professionals and sire-never did. Sharpened teeth and venom can be a bloody good thing-especially when aimed outwards! I was prompted to start this thread as I was semi-ballistic when it was stated that "diggers" only require rudimentary understanding-blew my tiny little mind. On occasion, we`re all a bit acidic, perhaps a reflection of the overall malaise felt by peeps nationwide. Tis "volunteers" in ppg land that I have an issue with sire...trust you`re well?Big Grin

a degree of competence? - Alfie - 16th September 2005

I think that the first site I did as an unpaid volunteer has sustained me throughout my career. I worked in a pub at night serving all the professional diggers who I had dug alongside all day. I took delight in learning all about fieldwork and the challenges it entails.I didnt learn how to dig at university, I think I might have been disappointed if I had studied for three years and come in to the field straight from uni.In fact the worst diggers I have ever had on my site were from UCL who were fresh from training digs but thought they knew it all.

a degree of competence? - muddyandcold - 17th September 2005

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Silent Bob

I once heard a former county archaeologist airily tell some visitors that 'of course you can only get to a certain level without a degree.'

A former county archaeologist was frequently heard to say that they didn't agree with long term contracts! To keep diggers on short term work was to keep them keen and eager to please [:p] Although no longer a county mountie, they are still active within the professional body...

a degree of competence? - 1man1desk - 18th September 2005

If so, thats a complete disgrace.

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished

a degree of competence? - muddyandcold - 19th September 2005

Completely true!! What signals does it send out?? Is it anywonder that archaeologists are dubious about joining our professional body ?? Let them put their own house in order....