The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Where have all the good shovels gone? - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Where have all the good shovels gone? (/showthread.php?tid=1968)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Where have all the good shovels gone? - Post-Med Potterer - 19th August 2005

Horses for courses.

I use both a WHS and a Marshalltown. The Marshalltown is springy and good for sand and light silts. he WHS is firm and you can prise rocks and bricks out with it which will snap the blade on a Marshalltown.

The quality of steel in a WHS is in fact superior. WHS trowels are made in Sheffield by Niell Tools (a division of Spear and Jackson) from high-grade Swedish steel. Marshalltown trowels are made from slightly lower grade American steel.

However the difference between the two is in the manufacturing process (forging) which imparts different qualities to the steel.

Where have all the good shovels gone? - the invisible man - 20th August 2005

Tools made in Sheffield from Swedish steel...... sighs.... when I were lad....etc etc...

Today, Bradford. Tomorrow, well, Bradford probably.

Where have all the good shovels gone? - troll - 20th August 2005

Increased knuckle clearence boll*x. Not only that, have you noticed how quickly you can wear a new one down? I reckon they`re makin them out of scrapped Datsun Sunnys...

Where have all the good shovels gone? - Sith - 22nd August 2005

I've been using the same Marshalltown for about ten years and it doesn't seem to have worn down appreciably. In fact the WHS that I used for the same period is now teaspoon sized and now that I'm a chairbound fat-cat, it looks spiffing in the back pocket of my pin-striped suit on site visits. Smile

By the way, I also note that even modern Marshalltows sport some kind of cr*ppy plastic handle these days. I think that my WHSs must be of an earlier vintage than mst, as the handles have never come off (ferrules rattle like hell though Sad).

D. Vader
Senior Consultant

Vader Maull & Palpatine
Archaeological Consultants
Deathstar House
Endor Industrial Estate
Milton Keynes
RD22 3PO

Where have all the good shovels gone? - eggbasket - 22nd August 2005

Sith,

Pin-stripes are just so last week. Plain charcoal grey is the in colour for today, preferably with a matching ensemble of olive green shirt and a co-ordinating tie that draws together the two colours. Naturally, all clothes should be expensive designer labels.

Eggbasket

Eggy by name, eggy by nature

Where have all the good shovels gone? - mercenary - 24th August 2005

Quote:quote:The quality of steel in a WHS is in fact superior. WHS trowels are made in Sheffield by Niell Tools (a division of Spear and Jackson) from high-grade Swedish steel. Marshalltown trowels are made from slightly lower grade American steel.

I stand corrected sir.Smile Wouldn't dream of slandering good Sheffield Steel, even if it's from Sweden.

Where have all the good shovels gone? - deepdigger - 25th August 2005

You really need to see the way one of the local county archaeologists in our region dresses, i always thought that he was an oddball but since he got the job(quite recent) he has taken to wearing a TWEAD SUIT complete with a bloody conker on a string hanging out of his top pocket. Looks a right twerp!!
Whatever next, plus fours perhaps?

deep

Where have all the good shovels gone? - Sith - 26th August 2005

Quote:quote:Originally posted by deepdigger

..complete with a bloody conker on a string..

It could be worse, a former associate used to wear a squirrel pelt for adornment...on his going-out clothes![:0]

S

Where have all the good shovels gone? - BAJR Host - 26th August 2005

and there is something wrong with plus fours?? [:o)]

Another day another WSI?

Where have all the good shovels gone? - mercenary - 3rd November 2005

Well, I've procrastinated too long. It appears Tubal Cain has gone bust. Just as I was going to order my dream shovel.Sad

I think I may have to bring one back from Canada, cuz they don't seem to make good ones here anymore.