The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
'The Diggers Lot' in British Archaeology - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: 'The Diggers Lot' in British Archaeology (/showthread.php?tid=1839)

'The Diggers Lot' in British Archaeology - Ash - 10th March 2005

I've just been reading the most recent edition of British Archaeology (issue 81) and I noticed that there is a 1/4 page about Paul Everill's survey on diggers. Can someone explain to me why it was given such a small space? Why didn't it have the same coverage as one of the larger articles?? This is an extremely important issue yet I feel that although we discuss it on forums such as BAJR, in the wider media world, it is almost taboo.

The small article ended with the line: 'Not all is bad. "Nothing comes close to the camaraderie", said one digger'. That might be so, but I think decent pay, decent working conditions and the recognition of archaeology as a profession would go a long way. To end the 'article' in such a way almost seemed to negate what the rest of it was trying to say i.e archaeology is in trouble. I feel that for such a popular magazine, and by that I mean one that is available to the general public through WHSmith etc, this topic should have been given a bigger space so that people can realise that being an archaeologist isn't all that Time Team and others make it out to be.

What does everyone else think?

Ash
(who's feeling extremely frustrated at the moment)

'The Diggers Lot' in British Archaeology - gumbo - 10th March 2005

I agree. Why not write a letter to British Archaeology? Unfortunately, that is where it will end with that particular forum.

Feeling very pro-Everill at the moment after all that w*** on britarch. There was a great post in reply about county-coucil pedants wasting our money on web forums. At least Im wasting private money.

'The Diggers Lot' in British Archaeology - Oxbeast - 10th March 2005

Certainly we should get all the WS Smith arcmchair archaeologists reading the website and knowing as much as possible about that Invisible Diggers project. There are some really depressing quotes there, and the camaraderie is certainly not enough. You get that in plenty of other professions, archaeologists just bang on about it because its all we got.

honestly, I'm better company when I'm in a better mood.

Most ordinary punters think we coast it on easy street, and its all sunshine, with all the treasure and birds you could shake a stick at. Anything that gets us some sympathy is a good thing.

'The Diggers Lot' in British Archaeology - Oxbeast - 10th March 2005

And I'[m glad I'm not on Britarch. If I want 80 pointless emails a day clogging my inbox I'll go and join a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan club...

Beast,
Oppressed by awkward mapping...

'The Diggers Lot' in British Archaeology - BAJR Host - 11th March 2005

I think you will find that it is actuall 83 emails a day. and if you do not mind me being pedantic, the plural of email is strictly....blah...blah...............

However, the Invisible Digger project is very important, and as such is supported by BAJR, the Digger and even the IFA (a bit)

All I can suggest is that the word is spread, the people go to the site and continue the survey.

http://www.invisiblediggers.net/