The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Anonymity or disclosure - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Anonymity or disclosure (/showthread.php?tid=1732)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Anonymity or disclosure - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 8th August 2009

Following on from reading under the topic about more units going under, I wondered what peoples views are about keeping names off their profiles.
Most people are honest in what they write-but occasionally you will get some who use this anonymity for nefarious intent.
Should everyone who wants to post have to reveal their name?

Anonymity or disclosure - trowelmonkey - 8th August 2009

One of the wonderful things about BAJR is that everyone here meets as equals. Were we to have to disclose our identities to everyone this would no longer be the case even if we only moderated ourselves subconsciously. I think my having the option to disclose as much or as little as we choose we can be more forthright.

Archaeology IS a small and backstabby world, unfortunately. I think once somebody has a "reputation" it doesn't matter what they said, it's all dismissed out of hand. I might concede to providing the moderators with further details, but if I had to tear away the thin shreds veiling my anonymity I would no longer feel able to participate in this forum and I would miss it greatly.

TM who dispairs of ever working again.

Anonymity or disclosure - Gog - 8th August 2009

It prevents our opinions reflecting on our employers - the archaeological world is so small that its not difficult to work out who works for who. My boss, for instance, doesn't seem to have realised yet that I'm a colossal idiot. If my name was plastered all over my comments, I'd be up s*** creek - assuming he could care less, which he probably couldn't.

But the principle stands (probably).

Anonymity or disclosure - muddyandcold - 8th August 2009

Nice poll 'Dirty Dave'...... So why are you hiding behind an alias????

Anonymity or disclosure - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 8th August 2009

Anyone can click onto my profile and see what my real name is-and as for "Dirty Dave" being an alias, not at all, this name was given me way back at the start of my career by the late Malcolm Otter who helped train me as a field archaeologist. He said it as a joke so I wouldn't be confused with another 2 Daves that were on my MSC course (I was covered in mud at the time)-the name stuck, so now everyone who knows me, that is my name!!

Anonymity or disclosure - Austin Ainsworth - 8th August 2009

Quote:quote:Originally posted by muddy

Nice poll 'Dirty Dave'...... So why are you hiding behind an alias????
Dirty Dave's forum details are confirmed by BAJR -

MUDDY, And your reason for hiding behind an alias is??

[Image: OZUJSKO.jpg]

Anonymity or disclosure - kevin wooldridge - 8th August 2009

Don't disagree with Dirty Daves analysis, but kind of feel that if an archaeological employer is going to dislike me, they might as well dislike me to my face!!

Could David give us some idea of what percentage of BAJRites use identifiable names?

With peace and consolation hath dismist, And calm of mind all passion spent...

Anonymity or disclosure - Austin Ainsworth - 9th August 2009

Hang on Dave - after looking at option three from your post I notice that the result would be that the moderators of the forum would have to vet a lot more posts than they already have to. Thanks for volunteering our already over-stretched services; would you care to volounteer for forum admin duties??

[Image: OZUJSKO.jpg]

Anonymity or disclosure - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 9th August 2009

If option 3 does become the most accepted to the majority of bajirites then it would mean more work for our much respected moderators-oops, I didn't realise that when I drew up the poll-sorry [:I]
As for me volunteering my services, surely you would want someone who has more "standing" within the archaeological community?

Anonymity or disclosure - RedEarth - 9th August 2009

I think the anonymity of participants is very important for several reasons, if for no other than it allows people to say what they actually feel (within sensible limits) without worrying too much about the consequences. The few malicious people that there are seem to be dealt with quite sucessfully.

One of the problems with improving standards and conditions in archaeology is that many are too afraid of being branded trouble makers to say anything. At least this forum allows you to do that anonmyously if you prefer.