The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Working outside the UK - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Working outside the UK (/showthread.php?tid=1559)

Pages: 1 2

Working outside the UK - Gilraen - 9th May 2009

Hi there (and apologies for those outside the UK already).

Have you ever worked in archaeology (or archaeology-related disciplines) outside the UK?

Feel free to elaborate...especially if there is more than one choice there that fits you. Pick the one that is the most relevant (ie, you may have done archaeology in Ireland, say, but the fact that it was paid and not voluntary may have been more important at the time).

There may also be more options there that can be explored. I know that one option here wouldn't covered everyone's views and experiences.

Also - if you are outside the UK and have worked here or elsewhere outside your own country, you can also enter the poll and elaborate below as I am sure the same factors are relevant.

Mr Hosty/Mods - there's another option there if you can think of another good choice).

Working outside the UK - Gilraen - 9th May 2009

Mr Hosty/Mods,

It won't let me edit this topic for some reason, but an 8th choice could be:

'Yes - and wouldn't care if it were paid or not!'

...if you did want to add this one in.

Working outside the UK - Austin Ainsworth - 9th May 2009

*Poll options updated*

my choice was 'Yes - everywhere!'

[Image: visigoth.jpg]

Working outside the UK - BAJR Host - 10th May 2009

thats me... anywhere which will take me Smile I have a fun habit of being a loose cannon! Sad

I love working anywhere where there is a puzzle to be solved.. a mystery.. or just a simple case of it can't be done....

I seriously advise anyone to use archaeology as a passport to the world...

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."
Niccolo Machiavelli

Working outside the UK - kevin wooldridge - 10th May 2009

I agree with David. Use archaeology as a passport to travel. At the moment I am in Norway, (a country I love), but I would consider an interesting offer from another country when my current contract is up....Already eyeing up some possibilities...

I like working in the UK, but working abroad gives you a perspective that sometimes puts the trials, tribulations and trivialities of UK archaeology into perspective.

And you meet the nicest people, experience weathers that leave you in awe, see places that cause goose-bumps, discover vegetables you never realised existed...., decline meat dishes you hoped [u]didn't </u> exist....etc etc and find out that archaeologists pretty much across the world are like having a ready-made family wherever and whenever you drop in....

With peace and consolation hath dismist, And calm of mind all passion spent...

Working outside the UK - BAJR Host - 10th May 2009

how true... how true..

and as to the neat dishes.. I don't think there is a part left now that I have not choked down Smile

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."
Niccolo Machiavelli

Working outside the UK - Windbag - 11th May 2009

I'd love to work abroad again. I did voluntary work as an undergraduate and just after graduating but have found paid opportunities abroad to be like hen's teeth!

Working outside the UK - BoneGirl - 11th May 2009

Would love to, but not the most practical with a young family. I suspect these opportunities have now past me by.Sad

Working outside the UK - EarlySlav - 11th May 2009

The chance to work abroad was one of the reasons which brought me back into archaeology. Took me to Syria, Turkey, Eastern Europe and Ireland. Some paid some vol. Met the wife and had great time but young family put a halt for the time being. Always helps to have skills such as survey et al. If not paid you should never be out of pocket.

Working outside the UK - Austin Ainsworth - 11th May 2009

I'd also agree with using archaeology as a passport to travel, I used a four year stint in Germany as a base from which to travel round eastern Europe. I met some of the nicest people I think I'll ever meet, drank myself senseless in the capitol cities of the Austro-Hungarian Empire while gazing in wonder at fantastic Jugendstil and Bauhaus architecture and spent Millennium Eve waltzing in the snow outside Vienna's Rathaus. If anybody does get the chance to work abroad - then go for it. Smile

[Image: visigoth.jpg]