The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Job Losses in Archaeology - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Job Losses in Archaeology (/showthread.php?tid=1357)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Job Losses in Archaeology - YellowPete - 11th February 2009

So the ring fencing is ok and normal, with people setting themselves up new companies, in the ashes of those that go under?

Ahh. Now I get it.

He's certainly one of the few to be in a position, to have been able to spend enough time to gain enough of an understanding of the figures than the average ground pounder (digger).

Here to the future of our broken bodies at SCAUM and FAME's feet.

(and there was much rejoycing)
Yheay.

We certainly will need a lot of trowel fodder, from now on wont we?

txt
Mike

Job Losses in Archaeology - matthew.law - 11th February 2009

Cheers Paul. That will make for interesting reading. I notice Hosty just posted a link to Kenneth Aitchison's article on another thread.

Oh, YellowPete, just to clarify - SCAUM and FAME are one and the same

Ooh, that rhymes.

Matt

Job Losses in Archaeology - trowelmonkey - 11th February 2009

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Paul Belford

Sorry, off topic, but is there any truth in the now well-established urban myth that large chunks of the Irish archaeological archive (context sheets and so-on) are actually written in Polish?

No. Context sheets were produced and filled in in Polish on a number of individual projects across several units, but as far as I know they were translated into English at the record checking/database entry phase.

Job Losses in Archaeology - YellowPete - 11th February 2009

Must appreciate the redirection

txt
Mike

Job Losses in Archaeology - BAJR Host - 11th February 2009

explain?

?When a sinister person means to be your enemy, they always start by trying to become your friend.?
William Blake

Job Losses in Archaeology - Paul Belford - 11th February 2009

Thanks trowelmonkey.

Of course Polish-language context sheets in Ireland pale into insignificance when one considers the vast amount of English-language archaeological recording of, say, Egypt.

I am not sure I understand quite what point YellowPete is trying to make.

Job Losses in Archaeology - monty - 11th February 2009

Me neither, what exactly is the point then Yellow Pete ???

Job Losses in Archaeology - tmsarch - 11th February 2009

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Paul Belford

Thanks trowelmonkey.

Of course Polish-language context sheets in Ireland pale into insignificance when one considers the vast amount of English-language archaeological recording of, say, Egypt.

And conveniently stored in a local archive at some university only a few hundred (thousand...) miles away in an entirely different country/continent.

Sorry - somewhat off topic [:I]

Job Losses in Archaeology - trowelmonkey - 11th February 2009

I don't have the energy for such all pervading cynicism and oblique hints. (concision is a virtue YP)

Kenny's Telegraph article and Mathew Law's survey raise an interesting point between them, namely when does an archaeologist cease to be one? Does this happen when the IfA sub stops, when the "resting digger" takes up another job, or when they officially become long-term unemployed?

Before this most recent big boom it was quite normal to take other jobs between circuit digging, sometimes even to fund going back on the circuit and I don't think anyone on an "in between" job didn't think of themselves as an archaeologist. It would be interesting to look at a few case studies following individual archaeologists' coping strategies to see who returns and what new perspectives they will bring with them.

This looks likely to be a lean year for me but I am still an archaeologist and will remain one until somebody prises the trowel out of my stiff cold hands no matter what else I may fall back on.

Job Losses in Archaeology - achingknees - 12th February 2009

Quote:quote:Originally posted by monty

Me neither, what exactly is the point then Yellow Pete ???

Son of Uof1. Oblique and opaque...