The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Work in 2009 - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Work in 2009 (/showthread.php?tid=1314)

Pages: 1 2 3

Work in 2009 - monty - 3rd January 2009

Well, for those still in jobs it all starts again on monday, what are peoples feelings about the prospects for employment in 2009? :face-huh:

Work in 2009 - kevin wooldridge - 4th January 2009

I honestly think it is too early to say, but I am certain that come Monday morning those whose job it is to procure work will be noses to the grindstone......

I would be interested if BAJRites could update the rest of us on ongoing prospects (not the nitty-gritty detail, just the general trends).

Work in 2009 - Mike.T. - 4th January 2009

Not optimistic at all. I've got made redundant almost 3 months ago. When any jobs are advertised there are going to be a very large number of applicants. Competition is going to be very tough, even for those with a lot of digging experience.
I do know of several large projects that are due to start next year, with my old unit, so i'm hoping to go back to them. But will it be the same pay and conditions ?

Work in 2009 - BAJR Host - 4th January 2009

I will be coming out with the BAJR pay and conditions 2009/10 consultation soon... put it this way... it is not going to be massive.. but it will require an increase... going backward is not an option. and to council units who claim they can't raise...

as the jobs are on a band with scales inside... just choose a higher scale in a band. SHimplE!

"Gie's a Job.."
Prof. 'Dolly' Parton

Work in 2009 - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 4th January 2009

On the news earlier it seems the Government has plans for 'a new deal' to try and create 100,000 new jobs throughout this year and to keep the construction industry going by bringing forewards projects such as road building. The biggest problem is how are they going to find the money for all this?
It doesn't help with the value of the pound falling against other currencies-especially the Euro. I wonder how much the economy would benefit if we ditch the pound and went with the euro instead?

Work in 2009 - kevin wooldridge - 4th January 2009

One of the Sunday papers also reported today that the government wants to fund the creation of jobs in the 'green sector' which one might imagine could include archaeology....

As for the Euro. Britain doesn't have to join the Euro. They just need to link the pound to the Euro. As the pound is likely to hit 1:1 this week it means we get the Euro, but all kinds of Little Britainers can still call it the pound. As for whether it will do our economy any good, I think we need to harmonise tax levels for all goods and services across Europe before that will happen...

Work in 2009 - Velociraptor - 5th January 2009

No guarantees at all, at the moment, about about work.

I have to "Sign-On" at 12.15 today.

I agree that there is going to be much competition regarding "advertised" jobs.

However, I believe that only 5 to 10 per cent of Archaeology jobs are "advertised".

It is usually by local word-of-mouth, or hitting them with an email / letter in the week that they are looking for people, that gets results.

I have hardly ever believed a letter, sent to me, that reads:

"We have nothing at the moment but we will keep your C.V. on file and let you know if anything comes up".

I believe that at least 95% of all C.V. sent to a unit, are shredded soon after.

(I KNOW that is true in some cases, because I know people at several units who tell me, it is their job to do exactly that. Such is the reality).

So re-mailing units is the only way, if one is attempting to "work on the Circuit".

Yeap, I worked around the country (few months here, few weeks there) between 1990 - 1992.
After that, I realised I just had to stay in one county, in order to establish myself with a local unit or two......and also become "settled" rather than constantly live out of a rucksack and two sports bags.

Work in 2009 - mattock_man - 5th January 2009

Well, its looking pretty dire at the moment really. I'm lucky enough that I've been seconded to finds from the field team ar MoLAS, but digging wise it starts looking pretty bad around easter time. Bringing things like road schemes forward seems like a good idea, but have to wonder how long it will take for them to actually start up? Do we think the summer or later? And then the individual units have to tender for the work, so I worry that it could squeeze out some of the smaller units?

Work in 2009 - oldgirl - 5th January 2009

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Velociraptor

No guarantees at all, at the moment, about about work.

I have to "Sign-On" at 12.15 today.

I agree that there is going to be much competition regarding "advertised" jobs.

However, I believe that only 5 to 10 per cent of Archaeology jobs are "advertised".

It is usually by local word-of-mouth, or hitting them with an email / letter in the week that they are looking for people, that gets results.

I have hardly ever believed a letter, sent to me, that reads:

"We have nothing at the moment but we will keep your C.V. on file and let you know if anything comes up".

I believe that at least 95% of all C.V. sent to a unit, are shredded soon after.

(I KNOW that is true in some cases, because I know people at several units who tell me, it is their job to do exactly that. Such is the reality).

So re-mailing units is the only way, if one is attempting to "work on the Circuit".

Yeap, I worked around the country (few months here, few weeks there) between 1990 - 1992.
After that, I realised I just had to stay in one county, in order to establish myself with a local unit or two......and also become "settled" rather than constantly live out of a rucksack and two sports bags.

I have my next 'sign on' on Friday, perhaps we should start a club! [8D] I found it particularly concerning that my Job Centre Plus spelt archaeology wrong, hopefully this isn't the case everywhere! I have to say that the advice/support given is not really very appropriate if you are what they consider a 'professional' worker. Still, hopefully it won't be for too long!

Big govt schemes will probably go through consultancies, so it will be a question of who they ask to tender. If smaller organisations are interested, it might be worth them talking to each other about putting tenders in together in order to demonstrate that they can cope with the scale of work?

Work in 2009 - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 5th January 2009

My next signing on is this wednesday, if there's going to be club formed we'll have to think of a good name for it:face-thinks:.
As for spelling archaeology-I wrote it down on a form and was asked "isn't there an o after the e?" DOH!!!!
I've noticed the easiest way of upsetting staff in the dole office is to say that most of your digging jobs are either 'word of mouth' by a phonecall or down the pub!!! never through them!!!!!
I'm sure talk of collaboration between units for big jobs has been bandied about for years- i'm yet to see it actually happen:face-huh: