The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Munsell Charts - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Munsell Charts (/showthread.php?tid=1302)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Munsell Charts - historic building - 8th January 2009

It may have been stradding a gun on a battleship making a power-ballardish noise now you mention it...

I must have drunk too much tea today.

Munsell Charts - m300572 - 8th January 2009

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Curator Kid

Quote:quote:Originally posted by historic building

I do remember seeing a section somewhere that had been covered with some rubbery-plastic stuff to preserve its face.

Are you sure you weren't watching a Cher video? [xx(]

Not unless it was starring Dominic Powlesland! Dom preserved a few sections at West Hes in the early 80's - technique was to spray the section with rubber solution, nip out of trench, throw lit match in to "dry" the solvent off quickly, check you hadn't lost your eyebrows and 'tache in the resultant fireball, carefully peel off section and take of to the dry of the site hut to draw it. Last time I saw any of the sections they were hanging on the wall in the York Uni archaeology department.

I think Dom got the inspiration from a museum in Germany who, as far as I recall the tale, had a vast hillfort ditch section with some fairly large rocks embedded in it hanging on a wall! Our two metre wide and a meter deep sections must have been relatively simple.

Munsell Charts - andy.bicket - 11th January 2009

Wow! 4 pages of posts on Munsell colour charts...very impressive, never realised they were that interesting Smile

Although I don't think anyone has mentioned a time when someone has actually used the colour descriptions from a site for anything other than just going into an archive.

As far as I can tell from being around geomorphologists (whilst pretending to be one), the main aim isn't really considered to be the ability to directly compare sections against one another using the values as absolutes, but rather to give an idea to others what the sections/sediments colours resembled...maybe the changes down section are subtle or strong etc. Don't think anyone would necessarily use a specific colour to describe a specfic process. Orange may be linked to waterlogging or burning depending on the feature/geology/chemistry etc. Darker browns may mean more organic content in certain cases, so no hard and fast rules.

And you always have to say whether it is wet or dry when you make your descriptions.

Munsell colours are nice to have but I don't think they've ever been the source of a fist fight between two differing opinions...and if they have it's a massive shame Sad

Munsell Charts - chert - 16th January 2009

Hi
'The Globe Soil Color Book' cost $40 from Forestry Suppliers Inc, http://www.forestry-suppliers.com

Really do recommend them.

Munsell Charts - Bunty - 19th January 2009

I made a boss/site supervisor a 'Munlux' colour chart for his birthday - put together from Dulux paint cards and a bit of creative writing. I quite liked the idea of describing contexts, pottery etc as "Tawny Buff", "Sahara Nights" or "Caramel Fusion" but sadly it never got used...

Munsell Charts - trowelmonkey - 11th March 2009

For anyone who can draw US funds without being investigated for potential terrorist intent the wonderful Ben Meadows currently have a special offer on Munsell books:

http://www.benmeadows.com/store/Soil_Management/Soil_Testing/Soil_Charts/20883/?CID=9JA071

(soil charts, yeah, I like them.)