The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Archaeology... it's the future! - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Archaeology... it's the future! (/showthread.php?tid=1163)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Archaeology... it's the future! - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 24th October 2008

Judging from the "essential field skills" topic I was right to point out that lack of site skills for digging will count against folks trying to get fieldwork.

Archaeology... it's the future! - Unitof1 - 25th October 2008

Quote:quote:I'm also hoping that NVQ appears soon. I'm not sure how many assessors there are already qualified

what are you worried about. Go get a spade and dig a hole, enjoy what you find.

Archaeology... it's the future! - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 25th October 2008

"go get a spade and dig a hole"
Sounds good to me! anywhere in particular?:face-approve:

Archaeology... it's the future! - shovelnomore - 25th October 2008

Anybody else told, when they started digging: 'we're archaeologists, we don't dig holes'?

Archaeology... it's the future! - Unitof1 - 26th October 2008

no, what are you talking about, maybe you have not started yet,
:
get spade dig.......joy
.....dont tell anyone

Archaeology... it's the future! - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 27th October 2008

"were archaeologists,we dont dig holes"
No, we'er supposed to dig sections through features-but looking at what some people consider as being vertical makes me laugh,especially when you can see ants skiing down the section![:p]

Archaeology... it's the future! - Kathryn Whittington - 27th October 2008

Quote:quote:Originally posted by gorilla
Just one thought this morning. I was wondering... when was the last time when a [u]non</u>-IfA member was invited to talk/discuss with the IfA comittee regarding IfA membership, structure and operation? Was there ever a time? Has or does the IfA take on board the views of non-members (the good majority of archaeologists?)

Perhaps if they actually talked to non-members about just why they haven't joined (or won't join), the IfA would be better informed. It's no good preaching to the already converted.

The IfA regularly consult with or talk to non-IfA members on a broad range of matters. We also work with non-members on many projects or as part of the joint working committees we are involved with. Talking to non-members is an important part of our recruitment strategy and we regularly have the opportunity to hear their views.

If anybody would like to discuss anything with us or would like to ask us questions directly we are always happy to hear from both members and non-members alike.

admin@archaeologists.net

Institute for Archaeologists
SHES, University of Reading
Whiteknights, PO BOX 227
RG6 6AB

Archaeology... it's the future! - BAJR Host - 27th October 2008

Thanks Kathryn,

I think what gorilla was asking though was more specific...

Quote:quote:The IfA regularly consult with or talk to non-IfA members on a broad range of matters. We also work with non-members on many projects or as part of the joint working committees we are involved with. Talking to non-members is an important part of our recruitment strategy and we regularly have the opportunity to hear their views.

We recently had a consultation here on BAJR... is one example I can think of.(but this included IFA and non-IFA members... and so is a mixed bag... as is any consultation where statistically some 60% (ish) should be non-members.

Quote:quote:Talking to non-members is an important part of our recruitment strategy and we regularly have the opportunity to hear their views.
I think this is where the question lies.. in where and who and when? When will be the next time and where.. etc

I think it is good of you and a sign of the openess that you are inviting comment. I'll send you q question just now.. :face-approve:
I think this is more open to interpretation

"I don't have an archaeological imagination.."
Borekickers

Archaeology... it's the future! - gorilla - 28th October 2008

Thanks Kathyrn for entering the debate. Firstly, I am not an IfA basher... I'm going through the process of joining. Secondly, it is, I hope, evident from previous posts of mine here that I am actually pro-IfA.

But I'd like to see it in a form in which it is transparent, structured and, above-all, assertive (ie. chartered). Yet, being my old contradictory self, I'd also like to see it in a form where every archaeologists wants to join it, rather than feel they have to.

I'd like it to be representative of all archaeologists... 100% (not the just the 34% that are in it at the moment). I'd like it to be an organisation where everyone has an equal voice and vote... from digger to director, PIfA to MIfA (or whatever the new membership moniker will be).

Lastly, I want it to be an organisation that everyone can afford to join and actually feel (see?) some benefit in being a member.

...and yes, there is a specific question. Although I know the IfA talks to non-members (and members alike), I'd like to know in what form, where exactly and what about?

Archaeology... it's the future! - voice of reason - 28th October 2008

I'd like it to be an organisation where everyone has an equal voice and vote... from digger to director, PIfA to MIfA (or whatever the new membership moniker will be).

erm, every member in the IfA has an equal vote, or was that changed as well in the constutional changes? and as for voice - anyone can raise an issue privately or publicly, stand for Council, participate in Committees, etc etc.