The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Archaeology... it's the future! - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Archaeology... it's the future! (/showthread.php?tid=1163)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Archaeology... it's the future! - vulpes - 6th November 2008

Flippin' eck Mercenary did I read it wrong or did you say something nice about curators?Big Grin

Archaeology... it's the future! - oldgirl - 6th November 2008

Quote:quote:Originally posted by mercenary

Quote:quote:but sometimes it would be nice to actually allow archaeologists to use their brains and common sense rather than assuming they'll take shortcuts if left to themselves.

Curators must be a different breed where you work. The ones I know don't delve that deeply into the methodology, presumably because thay trust us to record in an appropriate way. I may be wrong.
Then again if the archs are muppets they are likely to attract dogmatic monitoring. Funny how curators use their own common sense about the companies they are monitoring.

Some do use common sense, and I enjoy working in their areas (because I haven't just worked in one area of the country in the past 20+ years!). What I meant was not a critisism of curators, actually, but making the point that methodologies should develop (iterative approach anyone?) based on what you are actually finding/seeing. That's the whole ethos of MAP2/MoRPHE for post-excavation, but it needs to apply for the excavation part too. And I didn't say it shouldn't be AGREED with all parties.

Archaeology... it's the future! - historic building - 6th November 2008

Quote:quote:Originally posted by mercenary
[quote]
Then again if the archs are muppets they are likely to attract dogmatic monitoring.

Could not possibly comment.

Archaeology... it's the future! - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 6th November 2008

I agree, there are some archs I woudn't let organise my socks let alone a site!

I agree as well. However, I was making the point that there are also some great people out there and, as archaeologists, we should be thinking about what we're doing rather than just going 'it says 20% of linears and we've done that so that's OK then', rather than thinking about whether that's appropriate in this case!

Sorry, that was rather a long sentence......

Back to the original topic then, I'm starting to think that in 5-10 years time there will possibly be a lot less of us again. And we'll still be having the same problems of retention of people past the first few years so that there are people who can manage sites/make reasonable curatorial decisions/manage large mitigation projects/undertake the research.

"retention of people past the first few years"
Thats true as well, but then again archaeology is a bit like a stint in a torture chamber-if you don't crack in the first few days you never will!!}Smile

Archaeology... it's the future! - Paul Belford - 6th November 2008

Even if you haven't cracked after 19 years it is still torture.

But by that point your tear ducts have dried up so people don't notice it!Wink

Many people would probably say I'm definitely cracked - maybe you have to be to stay in it for 19 years..... (22 in my case....)

Sorry, I'll cheer up now!

After 3 now..3,2,1- "always look on the bright side of life"Big Grin