The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Souterrains and road schemes - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Souterrains and road schemes (/showthread.php?tid=1098)

Pages: 1 2 3

Souterrains and road schemes - BAJR Host - 29th August 2008

Was told about this question lost in the mass of weirdness that is Britarch nowadays..

WEll if anybody knows the answer.. post up here.. :face-thinks:

Quote:quote:Has anyone ever encountered a souterrain / fogou / underground chamber (name it what you will!) during evaluation or mitigation works during road schemes (new or widening) in the UK or Ireland? I am looking for some examples as a comparator for a report I am preparing.

"I don't have an archaeological imagination.."
Borekickers

Souterrains and road schemes - Oxbeast - 29th August 2008

There was one found on the M3 scheme in Ireland, wasn't there? I have encountered an unexpected souterrain, though it wasn't on a road scheme. It was right next to a main road, though, if that helps.

Thats a start... the M3 was tara I think... do you have a ref for the one you got?

Borekickers

Souterrains and road schemes - Oxbeast - 29th August 2008

No, sorry, I've got no reference. I'm happy to direct the person who asked the question to the relevant HER, though. There is a very brief mention on this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fogou

Souterrains and road schemes - Fishslice - 29th August 2008

For the M3 see http://www.m3motorway.ie/Archaeology/Section2/Roestown2/#Excavation

or http://www.nra.ie/Archaeology/ for publications and brochures

http://www.excavations.ie for info on sites up to 2004 and Summary accounts of archaeological excavations in Ireland after this.

The bibliography of the The Souterrains of Ireland by Mark Clinton?

Souterrains and road schemes - lucy78green - 29th August 2008

anywhere in county Louth is bound to turn up lots, can think of one off the top of my head

Lucy

brilliant every one... Have passed on all this to the person asking.. told them the link to here .. so they are keeping up with all the replies..

Thanks to you all.

Borekickers

Souterrains and road schemes - andy.bicket - 29th August 2008

Hmmm...soutterains and the North East of Scotland rings a bell. I'm sure a few have come to light, excavated by the Scottish Units {AUP Smile} but whether they are directly related to road projects I can't be sure off the top of my head. The A92 widening (Carnoustie to Arbroath) from a few years ago may have something, was a rich Iron Age record. I've excavated a souterrain near north of Arbroath but as above, wasn't part of a road scheme.

Perhaps also the M1 widening to Ballygawly (Northern Ireland), that also turned up some very nice Iron Age negative features but I was only privvy to the evaluation Smile...apologies for being so vague, my mind isn't what it used to be!

Souterrains and road schemes - tom wilson - 30th August 2008

Now don't be coy Oxbeast. Hosty, does it have to have been on a road scheme?

freeburmarangers.org

Souterrains and road schemes - Sparky - 30th August 2008

Why does it have to be on a road scheme?