The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
No bliddy jobs! - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: No bliddy jobs! (/showthread.php?tid=1083)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

No bliddy jobs! - Chris Jones - 18th August 2008

All good realistic advice above, I would say if you really want it then stick in there. I know there are lots of jobs where you just have to get through the day, but there will be interesting sites. Take an interest in how the site is run, learn as much as you can, at the same time enjoy meeting a bunch of new people in the same boat as you. It's not the best time and opportunities are limited but they do exist, sometimes you just have to hang in there. I was told in the early days that 'my day would come' and it did.

No bliddy jobs! - stonecirclegirl - 26th August 2008

Well I'm still trying. Am veering even more towards heritage jobs at the mo as all the arch jobs seem to require more practical experience than I've got. And GIS is going to be the bane of my life! I have v little experience of using it and computers are still a bit of a mystery. Perhaps I should do some IT classes....

I now do not mind where I go in the country as my fiance is open to suggestions and hates his current job... Sad So that may help.

I guess the right job will come along eventually....!

'There is no great genius without some touch of madness'... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

No bliddy jobs! - BAJR Host - 26th August 2008

I'd hire you :0) but it is true... GIS and IT skills are becoming as essentila as trowel and mattock...

the more skills you have the more employable... wait til I get my blinkin Skills Passport launched... when I get back !

"I don't have an archaeological imagination.."
Borekickers

No bliddy jobs! - oldgirl - 27th August 2008

Quote:quote:Originally posted by BAJR Host

I'd hire you :0) but it is true... GIS and IT skills are becoming as essentila as trowel and mattock...

the more skills you have the more employable... wait til I get my blinkin Skills Passport launched... when I get back !

Borekickers

I've always said that a driving license is one of the best skills you can have in archaeology!

No bliddy jobs! - Windbag - 27th August 2008

The key to getting digging jobs:
1) 6-12 months minimum professional digging experience
2) an archaeology degree
3) a driving licence

In that order (2 and 3 interchangeable). The main question is how does a new graduate get 6 months' experience? As people have already said, get your name out there, chase up CVs you've sent out with follow-up phone calls, be prepared to travel. In terms of "selling yourself", it's worth remembering that a face-to-face meeting is better than a phone call, a phone call is better than a letter, and a letter is better than an email. If you manage to get 6 months' paid archaeological employment in the next calendar year, you're probably doing quite well.

No bliddy jobs! - BAJR Host - 27th August 2008

indeed windbag...

get out there, get experieince, know how to take levels, take photographs, draw siteplans... learn a skill... a real skill that is saleable

Borekickers

No bliddy jobs! - Oxbeast - 27th August 2008

If you're signed on, you can often get computer courses the the local FE college. There is something called the ECDL (European Computer Driver's License, terrible name) which teaches you familiarity with the most used programmes. Its not that much money even if you have to pay for it yourself.

No bliddy jobs! - BAJR Host - 27th August 2008

good idea that!

Borekickers

No bliddy jobs! - Windbag - 27th August 2008

Aye, basic computer skills are important. Most university graduates will come out with ECDL-equivalent skills: basic Word, Excel use etc. GIS-type evening classes are like hen's teeth though! Anyone know anywhere that offers that kind of teaching?
I remember attending a (non-archaeological) job interview, which was followed by a quick assessment of my IT skills. This involved switching on the computer and opening a new Word document. Apparently they'd interviewed a candidate for the job who had tried to use the mouse like a TV remote control![:I]
I got the job btw.

No bliddy jobs! - oldgirl - 27th August 2008

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Windbag

Aye, basic computer skills are important. Most university graduates will come out with ECDL-equivalent skills: basic Word, Excel use etc. GIS-type evening classes are like hen's teeth though! Anyone know anywhere that offers that kind of teaching?
I remember attending a (non-archaeological) job interview, which was followed by a quick assessment of my IT skills. This involved switching on the computer and opening a new Word document. Apparently they'd interviewed a candidate for the job who had tried to use the mouse like a TV remote control![:I]
I got the job btw.

Yes, I know what you mean. I've had to teach people to use a mouse (in the distant past).

If you can't get opportunities to try out GIS and don't have access to the courses, maybe have a look at the online resources at ADS and others and see how the data is structured. There are still different packages out there that work in different ways, but understanding how data works is always a ueful thing. (Whether it's an HER data set or an on-site data set - for those who don't think anyone who doesn't dig is a real archaeologist).