The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
New IFA membership procedure & updated Handbook - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: New IFA membership procedure & updated Handbook (/showthread.php?tid=1044)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

New IFA membership procedure & updated Handbook - Kathryn Whittington - 24th July 2008

The IFA has revised the 'Applicants' Handbook' and related documents to make the process more straightforward and transparent, and to ensure that all professionals within the historic environment felt able to apply. The new process concentrates on competence rather than experience. Applicants with the NVQ in Archaeological Practice will be able to 'fast-track' their application, as holding the NVQ already proves technical competence. It is hoped that this changed emphasis and revised handbook will make the process of joining the IFA easier for all historic environment professionals. If you have any questions regarding the application process or would like an application pack, please contact the membership team tel: 0118 378 6446 email: admin@archaeologist.net or alternatively information can be downloaded from the 'Individual membership' page of our website (http://www.archaeologists.net/modules/icontent/index.php?page=31).

New IFA membership procedure & updated Handbook - Kathryn Whittington - 25th July 2008

The NVQ in Archaeological Practice, like all NVQs, is proof of what you can do, rather than academic knowledge. It is gained by measuring skills and competence aquired through experience on site (or elsewhere) against nationally recognised standards. Standards exist for all aspects of archaeological work from the ethical framework through desk based research, site work, finds analysis, reporting, HER and development control, project management and health and safety. As such, it's a better measure of competence than a degree certificate. It is not a qualification that is gained at a college, but in the workplace. More information can be found on the website:
http://www.archaeologists.net/modules/icontent/index.php?page=199

New IFA membership procedure & updated Handbook - BAJR Host - 25th July 2008

Quote:quote:How much will it cost?
Because this is a completely new initiative, we can only estimate the costs at present, based on the Cultural Heritage NVQs currently available. Colleges offering these qualifications charge candidates around ?1000 - ?1500 to cover registration and assessment fees and all supporting documentation. This is a lot of money and the IFA is currently exploring mechanisms for funding candidates, particularly through the Learning and Skills Council. We will also be encouraging employers to support the qualification by contributing towards the cost.

?1000 - ?1500 - thats quite a bit of cash for field archaeologists to shell out.

"I don't have an archaeological imagination.."
Borekickers

New IFA membership procedure & updated Handbook - the invisible man - 25th July 2008

Don't want to be a wet blanket, but from what I've seen of NVQs in other fields of work, they are not worth the paper they're written on.

Doesn't necessarily mean the archaeology one is as bad of course.

New IFA membership procedure & updated Handbook - oldgirl - 25th July 2008

I'm slightly concerned about the 'fast track' bit. I believe people with NVQs still go through exactly the same valdation procedure as everyone else?

New IFA membership procedure & updated Handbook - the invisible man - 25th July 2008

The difference seems to be that a portfolio of work is not required. Referees are still required, and unless the Validation Committee sits more often, I can't quite see how a 'fast track' is achieved. I am rather disturbed that an appliant at A or M level could be accepeted without a portfolio, on the strength of an NVQ: this does not strike me as enhancing the professional status of for archaeology.

New IFA membership procedure & updated Handbook - deposit-it - 25th July 2008

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Mattymooface

.......... i've had recent graduates on sites i've run and to be fair theres a clear differance between the ones who dug in there summer holidays and the one who didn't mainly there knew how to do things. (i know not everyone can dig over there summers as they need to work to get money)am not having a go at them just pointing out that practical experience is important,

Hooray! After 8 years of training students during the summer (and 3 weeks before I go out in the field to do it all again) some feedback from the real world that it helps! Repeating all day - don't stand on the section/don't dig with your trowel/try not to mattock Jim to death on your back swing.. it sinks in! Amazing....

Every uni has cut back on the undergrad fieldwork component (to zero in some cases), or force students to pay. There are few places where it's still free. I think the issue really is - how are we going to train people practically in the future and most importantly, who is going to pay?

New IFA membership procedure & updated Handbook - trowelfodder - 25th July 2008

Good to see another initiative in farce from the IFA - looks loike you've really thought this one through? What about A level and GCSE archaeology students being fast tracked too? And come to think about it maybe those who watch time team every now and again..... :face-stir:

New IFA membership procedure & updated Handbook - BAJR Host - 25th July 2008

steady folks... Smile

"I don't have an archaeological imagination.."
Borekickers

New IFA membership procedure & updated Handbook - student@gla - 25th July 2008

Not sure about the fast tracking idea, but the difference I saw in fieldschool between those of us who had dug before and those who hadnt was dramatic (more experienced ug's helpin classmates etc). If that holds true for people on a few weeks difference in experience then it holds true over longer timescales and higher responsibilities.

Nothing beats actual experience!