The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Credit Crunch/Recession - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Credit Crunch/Recession (/showthread.php?tid=1030)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Credit Crunch/Recession - wombat - 16th July 2008

Just wondering what other people's current experiences are of the recent economic down turn, with large housing developers laying off staff by the thousand. A quick look at the BAJR jobs page shows a lot less opportunities. Of the 19 jobs listed, only 11 are for fieldwork/post-ex jobs in British commercial archaeology. There has been 30 plus jobs listed in the recent past i am sure.

Are units experiencing a shortage of work?

are diggers, supervisors, PO's finding their jobs on the line?

What does the future hold for the profession?

Credit Crunch/Recession - BAJR Host - 16th July 2008

Sad but true... field jobs are down... Sad

"No job worth doing was ever done on time or under budget.."
Khufu

Credit Crunch/Recession - gonetopot - 16th July 2008

No shortage yet, but its definitely slowed with less of a 'rush' of incoming projects. It may be a coincedence but many new jobs appear to be relatively blank in terms of actual complex archaeology and I wonder if developers are beginning to avoid sites with any pre-identified archaeological potential as they don't have it in their budget to pay for it.

An interesting side effect is that in post-ex more back log sites are starting to become viable projects for the future.

Credit Crunch/Recession - gorilla - 16th July 2008

Although somewhat off-topic (just a little bit) I think this is quite revealing.... and puts things into perspective (for me at least).

Metro Newspaper (16th July 200:face-thinks:

The UK offers among the lowest quality of life in Europe despite residents earning the highest incomes, according to research.

The price of fuel and other essential goods, below average spending on health and education, short holidays and late retirement place the UK just above Ireland at the bottom of the uSwitch.com European quality of life index.

Although British families earn more than ?10,000 more than the European average, they pay the highest prices for diesel, 18% above the average, and the second highest price for unleaded petrol, 6% more than average. They also pay 49% more for gas and 5% more for electricity - the third highest prices in Europe.

UK spending on healthcare and education is below the European average while life expectancy is the third lowest at 78.9 years, compared to 80.9 in France or 80.7 in Sweden.

Workers have the third highest retirement age and suffer the shortest holiday entitlement - a week below average, according to the study. The weather adds to to the grim tally, with Britain receiving 80% less sunshine than Spain and 17% less than the European average.

A total of 41,026 residents left the UK in 2006, the highest number in Europe, with total emigration increasing by 30% from the UK since 2001.

The study assessed 19 factors to rank the UK in relation to nine other major countries across Europe.

Spain offers the best quality of life in Europe, despite families earning an annual net income of just ?16,789 - ?8,500 below the average and less than half that of the UK.

The country enjoys low taxation, cheaper essential goods, higher than average life expectancy and a generous holiday allowance, uSwitch said.

France came second, boasting the second highest spend on healthcare and the highest holiday allowance at 40 days.

I've got a contract job which ends in two years. Just what comes after that... 'tis anyone's guess. Any jobs in Sweden or Spain BAJR people?

Credit Crunch/Recession - BAJR Host - 16th July 2008

and a 2.45 pay award!

join me in Croatia!

Khufu

Credit Crunch/Recession - gorilla - 16th July 2008

Actually I was thinking about moving to Scotland (hopefully some near deserted island with plenty of whisky)

Credit Crunch/Recession - mercenary - 16th July 2008

I think the recession is definitely affecting my work. Through sheer bad timing I went self employed a few months ago. I have picked up quite a lot of work through friends, which I am extremely thankful for. Other than that, nothing. Not a single enquiry or request to tender. Have had a few people asking if I'm hiring though. I wish. The other self-employeds I know have also had a slowing of work of late.

I'd be curious if anyone out there knows if it's better to weather a building downturn in employment or self-employment? I suspect the former.Sad

Credit Crunch/Recession - Curator Kid - 17th July 2008

Planning consultations dropped dramatically in April. Since then, I've only been dealing with about half the volume of new applications that I was previously. As there is a minimum 8 week determination period and then a bit of project set-up time, I would suggest that the full impact of the downturn (at least in the area I work anyway), won't hit home with regards a drop-off in archaeological work until about September or October.

Credit Crunch/Recession - redexile - 17th July 2008

It's all looking pretty grim. Recent conversations with clients suggest that two of the 'big three' have pretty much got no new work coming in, and some of the medium sized units have stopped too. Personally, have been away for a week, and there wasn't a single offer of new work waiting when I got home, which is very unusual.

"Whoever understands the pottery, understands the site" - Wheeler

Credit Crunch/Recession - BAJR Host - 17th July 2008

well... now we have pinpointed it... what do we do? (and any suggestions of advising tv progs will be treated harshly)

serious it is... but what to do is up to us

am seeing a similar downturn

Khufu